Friday, September 24, 2010

Reports from the Field: What's in a Name?

As their first writing assignment of the school year, Drew, Jake and Emily were asked to research and write about their names. Here's what they said:

DREW
Patrick was to remember Grandpa.
It was of noble worth, but I fell
a little short. I am the third and youngest
noble in the family, at least for now.
What happens in the future is up to me.

Like hand-me-downs can sometimes be,
Patrick is a big uncomfortable coat to me.
I am not Pat or Patrick like my dad.
I am Drew, which means sturdy and
fits a little better.

At school they call me “Drew-E or Drewshka”.
If anybody said Patrick to call me over,
I would not think to respond. Patrick is like a box
in the back of the closet that you forget is there
unless it’s needed.

JAKE

My name is Jake Alexander. My mom and dad named me. The origin of Jake is Hebrew. My name means supplanter, which is like a conqueror. I like my name because it is short and easy to spell. Some qualities that go along with my name are reliable, steady and always happy. I think these are qualities that describe me well.

EMILY

My parents named me Emily. They chose the name Emily because they liked that name. Diane, my middle name, is my grandmother’s name, but sadly she passed away before I was born. Emily was the most popular girl name the year I was born and my parents didn’t even know.

Emily is a Latin name which comes from the name Aemilia. Aemilia is a feminine version of the surname Aemilius. I like my name because it means “ flattering one”. Also it’s very musical and has a nice flow and vibe to it.

I have lots of nicknames but one that has stuck is Emers. I got that nickname from my first grade teacher Mrs. Meyer. One day she called me Emers and it has stuck.

No comments: